|CALL NUMBER:||MS SC MOS|
|VOLUME:||3.5 linear feet|
|PROCESSED BY:||Special Collections Staff|
|PROVENANCE:||Gift of Thomas B. Mosher, J., 1970; and the John Frost collection acquired in 1971 through Nicholas Salerno.|
- Special Collections, Arizona State University, does not hold copyright. It is incumbent upon the researcher to procure permission to publish information from this collection from the owner of the copyright.
- Thomas Bird Mosher (1852-1923) embarked on a remarkable publishing career in 1891 and became a central figure in the revival of printing that swept America at the turn of the century. He was one of the first to make handsome yet inexpensive books available by mail order.
SCOPE & CONTENT:
- The collection consists of publishing materials, book lists, catalogue order forms, reviews, correspondence, financial records, estate and legal papers, personal items and photographs, ca. 1893-1929. A nearly complete collection of works published by the press are catalogued and housed separately.
Box 1 : Publishing Materials
- The Publications of Thomas Bird Mosher of Portland, Maine, by Benton Hatch. MSS- Printer copy, from R. Nash to T. B. Mosher, Jr.
- Brass printing plate, The Kasîdah cover, title in Arabic.
- Book covers, various titles:
Rubáiyát… The Kasîdah… Our Lady’s Tumbler… Story of David Gray… Shakespeare’s Sonnets… Felise…
- TBM portrait (plates), c.1901.
- Wine, Women, and Song, John Addington Symonds, Miscellaneous Series, 84- plates. Frontispiece: author’s portrait by Samuel Richards. 2 woodcut illustrations by William Strang- “Death and the Dancers:” “Death the Lover.”
- The Renaissance, Walter Pater (plates) Quarto Series 9. One on vellum, other on various papers. Portrait by Simeon Solomon, 187?.
- Father Damien. Robert Louis Stevenson. Miscellaneous Series 29, Frontispiece portrait.
- Miscellaneous plates:
2 – Oscar Wilde
1 – Walter Pater
2 – Dante Gabriel Rossetti
1 – John Payne
- Miscellaneous plates, unidentified. 8 items.
- Plates on vellum, unidentified. 1 by Dalziel.
- “After the French Liberation of Italy.” Proof sheet of poem with initials D.G.R., 1859, sent to Mosher from W. M. R. (William Michael Rossetti) June 1901.
- The Book of Heavenly Death. Walt Whitman, compiled by Horace Traubel. 3 copies: 1 Japanese Vellum, 2 Van Gelder handmade paper.
- A Branch of May. Lizette Woodworth Reese. Lyra Americana, no. 5. 3 book covers.
- The Renaissance of Modern Europe. J. Addington Symonds – Proofed typescript. Printer’s copy?
- Ode Recited at Commencement. James Russell Lowell. Typescript; printer’s copy?
- Ballads and Sonnets. Dante Gabriel Rossetti. First pages-vellum.
- Business card, Thomas Bird Mosher. The Mosher Books.
- “Chrysanthema Gathered from the Greek Anthology.” William M. Hardinge. From The Nineteen Century, Nov. 1878. Used for typesetting.
- “A Literary Friendship.” William Sharp. Pall Mall Magazine, Dec. 1901 (2 copies).
- “A Favorite of the Florentines.” Teresina Peck, The Lamp, April 1904. REF: Quattrocentisteria… How Sandro Botticelli saw Simonetta in the Spring – Maurice Hewlett – from Earthwork out of Tuscan,, Bibelot, May 1896. With 2 plates from.
- “Dante Gabriel Rossetti.” Edmund W. Gosse, Century, Sept. 1882.
- “Francois Villon, Student Poet and Housebreaker.” R. L. Stevenson, Cornhill, Aug. 1877.
- “Hawthorn and Lavender.” W. E. Henley. North American Review, Nov. 1899.
- “The Work of Walter Pater. Lionel Johnson, Fortnightly Review, Sept. 1894.
- “Tribute to the Sonnets of Thomas S. Jones, Jr.” Beatrice Post Candler (broadside). The Sketch Book Magazine. 2 offprints, n.d.
- Invoice forms.
- “The Mosher Books… as Gifts.” Promo, Counter display.
- Booklists – Brocade Series.
- Booklists – Old World Series.
- Booklists – Autumn 1896, fall 1916.
- Booklists – 1910, 1912, 1932.
- Catalogue order forms, 1900, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1916, undated.
“Land of Heart’s Desire”, “The Story of Cupid and Psyche”, “In Praise of Omar”, “New Lyric Garland”
- Printed envelopes.
- Catalog inserts – “Special Instructions”.
- Reviews of Mosher Books
- Curtis Hidden Page Catalogue I.
- The Goldoni Books (price list and cover samples).
- Keepsake, city of Santa Barbara, April 1906. “Sermon Unto the Birds,” St. Francis.
Box 2 : Correspondence / Family Estate Papers / Misc.
- Open letter to Andrew Lang by TBM, June 26, 1896. Bound.
- TBM correspondence, 1893-1922 (19 items).
- ALS, Cozzani, Elton to T. B. Mosher, 10 July 1907.
- ALS, Mosher, T. B. to Charles C. Bubb, 22 Dec. 1915.
- Obituary notices, Mosher parents, Biddeford, Maine newspaper.
- European Tour Papers, Mrs. Anna Mosher, 1924.
- Financial papers, Estate of TBM, Settlement…
- Legal papers, notes, TBM Estate, including part of TBM will (1916) .power of attorney, Flora M. Lamb.
- Probate papers, TBM estate, 1923-1924.
- Trustee’s account, Estate of TBM, Oct. 29, 1929.
- Correspondence, Anna L. Mosher, 1938-1943, mostly with Harry C. Mamber, Counselor at Law; Irving A. Hadley, Attorney at Law.
- Individual income tax returns, Anna L. Mosher, 1924-1927, 1929, 1933.
- Chrysanthema(blank book mock up). Diary, Feb. 27-Mar. 1938. In back: Manuscript notes for funeral arrangements for Mrs. Anna Mosher, Dec. 16, 1945.
- Clipping. Re: Wixell/psychic research.
- Clipping. Re: Grandfather clocks.
- Journal, notes and quotes, “George Gissing notes.” Gift of Nick Salerno.
Box 3 : Personal Items
- Mosher diary. “The National diary” 1880.
- “Booklovers text.” (blank book for writing purposes).
- Miscellaneous: Railroad ticket; bookmark.
- Cash journal and ledger.
Box 4 : Personal Items
- Watch fob.
- Mosher seal.
- Woodcuts for bookplates (Thomas B. and Anna L. Mosher).
- Bookplates, Thomas Bird Mosher and Anna L. Mosher. Early drawing by Earl Stetson Crawford “Ex libris. I*Steer*By*The*Stars,” 1922.
- Notification of election to Grolier Club, Dec. 3, 1895.
- William Nicholson prints.
- William Nicholson prints.
- William Nicholson prints – 4 prints.
- William Nicholson prints.
Box 5 : Personal Items
- “In Peru” poem by TBM, 1888 (carbon copy).
- Book Collectors – Book with TBM and Elbert Hubbard bookplates. Perhaps this blank book was made by Mosher-blue paper cover.
- “Blake’s Cottage” etching.
- Longfellow poem and autograph, with other autographs. Framed.
Box 6 : Photographs
- Photographs, Thomas Bird Mosher – 5 items.
- Photographs, Thomas Bird Mosher – 4 items.
- Photographs, TBM (albumin) – 1 item.
- Photographs, Thomas Bird Mosher, Jr. – 5 items.
- Photographs, Thomas Bird Mosher, Jr. – 2 items.
- Photographs, Harrison Hume Mosher (son, TBM, Jr.’s brother) – 3 items.
- Photographs, TBM and/or family – 5 items.
- Photographs, TBM and-or family – 4 items.
- Miscellaneous photographs – 3 items.
- Photograph (framed) – Mosher Press office from which TBM sold books.
Box 7 : Miscellaneous
- Hatch, Benton. “Addenda and Corrigenda to A Check List of Publications of Thomas Bird Mosher of Portland, Maine.” (original typescript).
- Nicholas Salerno address on Mosher (transcript).
- Salerno Mosher List (in yellow folder).
- Salerno Mosher List (photocopies of his catalogue cards).
- Samples of spine covers used on published Mosher books.
Box 8 : Oversize
- Photograph, Mrs. Thomas B. Mosher, Jr. (?). Carlyle Studios, NY, 8″x10″.
- Photograph, Genstair P. Wiksell (1863-1923) 9 3/4″ x 13″.
- Photograph, Thomas Bird Mosher, 10″ x 14″.
- Photograph, Thomas Bird Mosher, 9 3/4″ x 13 1/2″.
- Photograph, Thomas Bird Mosher & William Marion Reedy, 7 1/4 x 9 1/4″.
- Photograph, Mosher Library, Adams Studio, NY.
Box : Oversize
- Duplicate photos; booklists of Mosher Press.
Box : Oversize
- Mounted book marks from Mosher’s Asiatic trip, 22″ x 14″, donated by Nicholas Salerno.
In Envelope : (Oversize)
- Assorted, various types of paper used by Mosher Press.